Lockdown Catchup, Air Ambulance Donation and Online Demos

In Charity, Notices

Hello everyone.

We have managed to get through the past 4 weeks of lockdown.  I hope everyone has remained fit and well, together with your families.

Our garden is looking fine, we’ve managed to get some bedding plants and a few tomato plants for the greenhouse.  Lots of little jobs that have been put off for months have been done.

The workshop has been given a good clean out and also got some turning done.

With the Club closed, the Committee looked at ideas to help the Air Ambulance Charity but all suggestions were binned as they were not practicle.

We have since sent them a cheque for £781 made up of receipts from the Christmas and Turners/AGM raffles.

Some members have made personal donations via their website, but unfortunately this will not be counted to the Club’s donations.

Treasurer, John Mitchell has made a suggestion that we could turn articles that can be donated to the Air Ambulance Shops when they re-open for them to sell.

I’ve started, made keyrings, pens, mushrooms and snowmen.

Alan Buckle has forwarded to everyone the idea of holding online meetings via Zoom.  Any takers?

Also, Pat Carroll previously seen at the Club has arranged some turners to do online demo’s including Chris Parker who should have been with us this week.

Join them on ZOOM for the following meetings.
Meet the Turners Schedule as follows: Meeting ID: 972 4429 8850, Password: 042020

Friday, May 1st 7.30pm Rebecca De Groot
Tuesday, May 5th 7.30pm Braxton Wirthlin
Friday, May 8th 7.30pm Martin Saban Smith
Tuesday, May 12th 7.30pm Harvey Meyer
Friday, May 15th 7.30pm Ligia Rodrigues, 8.30pm Paul Starr
Tuesday, May 19th 7.30pm Brian Flood, 8.30pm Richard Kennedy
Friday, May 22nd 7.30pm Neville Bailey, 8.30 Chris Parker
Tuesday 26th May 7.30 Jeff Hornung

The Club Shop is still open for business, I can post goods on, at cost, if anyone wants anything.  I can still get goods from Turners Retreat, with a discount, who will post them direct to customers.

Unfortunately, our Club Secretary, Alan Buckle has resigned from the Committee.  I would like to thank  Alan for all the hard work he has done in the post over the past years.  He will be missed.

If anyone who is new to our hobby has any problems with their turning please feel free to give me a call for advice.  I’ll do my best to help them.  Any other members who are willing to assist could let me know and I will compile a list.

We would like to keep in touch with as many members as possible by any means.  I want to keep members of the Club interested and to have a Club to go back to in the future.

So, we are looking for a new Secretary, if anyone is interested please contact me.  It entails preparing agendas and minutes for our 4-5 Committee meeting a year, writing/emailing a few letters a year.

Finally may wish you and your families all the best during this terrible time.  Looking forward to seeing everyone in the future.

Keep Safe.

Kindest regards.

Mick

Chairman.

01507526138.  Close566@btinternet.com.

Recent Posts
Showing 2 comments
  • David Blakey

Good evening I was going to start attending and joining at the start of this year but for obvious reasons unable to, can I still join and view the demos you have listed on zoom please I am a complete novice, if you send me details

• Martin Pigott

Hi David, the zoom demos mentioned in our news post are nothing to do with the club and are not requiring you to be a member. They are open to anyone and we’re advertised on Facebook. The zoom details to access them are in the news post. Once all this is over and back to normal we will welcome you at the club.