26 Nov 19 – Important Notices, Demo by Peter Tree and Competition Table Results
- As the Christmas function has moved to Saturday 14th Dec, the decision was taken to offer you one more Hands on Night on the 10 Dec 19. This will be your last chance to stock up with goodies from the shop as we will not be opening again until the hands on night on 14 Jan 2020.
- On the subject of the Christmas function, the sale of tickets have not been very good, seeing as we have 78 paid up members and only a third have brought tickets. We have moved the location this year to hopefully cater for more people in the area that have previously not attended. The hands on night meeting is your very last chance to get your tickets. Don’t forget your ticket is your free entry to the cash draw. Please support this event, as if not, we won’t be having one next year as its not worth the effort to arrange for so little interest. Any donations of prizes for the raffle being drawn at the event would be much appreciated and all proceeds are going to L&NAA, our supported charity.
- Those going to the Christmas function, don’t forget to enter the Christmas Turning competion, the rules of which are on the Competition page.
- Our AGM is being held on the 28 Jan 2020, at which we will be having a talk by John Liles about the windmill he worked at for many years. Then we have the Turning of the Year Competition, so please bring along anything you have made between the two AGMs for the chance of winning. The table is going to judged by Dave Green from Turners Retreat. Also, don’t forget to buy your raffle tickets for some fantastic prizes including a Robert Sorby Pro Edge Sharpening System.
- Following the Committee meeting on 3rd Dec 19, it has been decided that the membership fees and subs will remain the same for 2020. We are reaching our limit to the number of members we have and can cater for in the hall, which is a first for the Club, so prompt membership payment in Jan 2020 would be appreciated to secure your place.
- Despite requests from the Chairman at the 2019 AGM and throughout the year for someone NEW to come forward to do the job as Programme Secretary, no one has come forward which is rather shocking seeing as we have 78 members. We therefore, currently do not have anyone booked for next year’s programme from March onward. We have previously split jobs down to make them less of a burden on individuals and to spread the work load as its not fair for the same few having to do everything to keep our Club up and running. Your Club NEEDS YOU! Our Club Secretary has kindly stepped in at the last minute to hopefully resolve the matter, but its not acceptable and is only a temporary arrangement as he already has his own job to do.
- We desperately need more experienced and competant turners amongst you to come forward to volunteer to operate/instruct on the lathes on the Hands on Nights, Training days and private turning sessions. If interested, please let us know. We are looking at arranging some training for the lathe instructors in the 2020.
PETER TREE DEMO
Club Night 26th November, was our last Demonstration for 2019. Hard to believe that another successful year is nearly over. The Club has gone from strength to strength over this year, thanks to the efforts of all members who pull together to make it a go too club for new and experienced wood turners. We welcomed back Peter Tree, the chair maker. Peter who is a local Lincolnshire craftsman has been to the club before showing us the techniques he uses for building his famous chairs. With the festive season upon us, this time he demonstrated a Yew nut cracker bowl and mallet. For more details of his work please visit his website below: http://www.petertreechairs.co.uk/index.htm
This month’s competition was the last of the year and brings our competition to a close and the overall winners decided. We had some amazing items as usual but what really stood out to me, was Mick Close’s Traction Engine which was truely a brilliant piece of work.
Novice Class Winners
1st Darren Brown, 2nd Paul Tunmore
Club Class Winners
1st Mick Close
Open Class Winners
1st Ric Sutherland, 2nd Peter Barrack & Tony Cooke, 3rd Chris Fisher
If you are not able to make the Hands on night and Christmas function, we would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and hope Santa brings you lots of new goodies for the workshop.